Pages

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Home Farm



In the seventies I came to England and lived in a Devon farmhouse called Home Farm.
The house was shared by four of us - Molly, Ronnie, Robert and me.
We were hippies and wanted to grow our own food and live off the land.
This is the Aga we huddled around that freezing winter.
There was ice on the inside of the bedroom windows.
Molly was upset because I needed to bath more than once a week.
And I bought blackberries from the supermarket.
I didn't realize they grew on hedges along lanes.
I had only just come here from Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love this. I still remember my utter astonishment when I realised that eating berries I picked and ate from hedges by the roadside were not going to kill me, as my mom always warned they would in SA :)

    ReplyDelete